Machine Controls Programmer
Machine Controls Programmer
Manufacturer and Distributor of high-quality packaging materials and innovative packaging machines has an immediate opening for a Machine Controls Programmer.
The Machine Controls Programmer reports to the Engineering Supervisor.
The Machine Controls Programmer will work in the Electrical Engineering Department assisting a team of programmers in the development of PLC and HMI applications for high-speed servo motion control packaging machinery. The position of Machine Controls Programmer includes the responsibility for programming, debugging, and support all aspects of software, and hardware utilized on automated motion controls systems for packaging machinery.
Qualified candidates must have a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Programming or ten (10) years’ experience in a related field.
- Minimum of three years’ experience programming industrial automated equipment
- Must have a minimum of three years of experience working with, electrical controls systems, PLC’s and HMI programming
- Motion control knowledge is a plus
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Understanding of industrial machine controls, electrical systems, PLC, and HMI programming with a working knowledge of multi-axis servo systems.
- Proficient in reading and interpreting engineering blueprints.
- Critical thinker with the ability to troubleshoot and identify root cause and corrective action of machine issues.
- Strong project planning and organizational skills
- Team player with strong communication and interpersonal skills demonstrates a positive and can- do attitude.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced cross-functional manufacturing organization, multi-task, and balance priorities
- Creative, independent, detailed oriented, and hands-on with the ability to work with minimal supervision
- Highly accountable to self and others, drives closure of tasks and completes quality work on time
- Knowledge of current safety policies and machine directives like NFPA, OSHA regulations, and industrial processes.
- Be familiar with standard communication protocols, (Ethernet IP, Sercos, Ethercat, and Powerlink) concepts, practices, and procedures related to the motion automation field
- Knowledge of MS Office applications including WORD, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Working knowledge of multi-axis servo control motion systems is a plus.
- Knowledge of UL, NEC, CE, NFPA79, OSHA electrical standards codes, and general safety electrical practices as per NFPA79E.
- Basic understanding of the concepts of 5S and Lean Manufacturing
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in development and support of PLC and HMI programs for packaging machinery.
- Responsible for integration of specialized hardware and software into manufacturing systems to enhance automation and control with an emphasis on efficiency.
- Develop, Load, setup and support software for automated control systems.
- Prepare functional descriptions of process controls.
- Assist customers and/or co-workers with electrical/programming issues.
- May provide electrical engineering support both on and off-site.
- May be tasked with field installation work which will require travel to the customer facilities.
- Investigate equipment failures and difficulties to diagnose faulty operation, and to make recommendations to service technicians.
- Aid engineering teams with machine and control development.
- Operate computer-assisted engineering design software and equipment required to perform engineering tasks.
- Inspect completed installations and observe their operation to ensure conformance to design and equipment specifications and compliance with operational and safety standards.
- Assist with specifications for purchase of electrical components.
- Adheres to all company policies, safety rules and safe work practices on site, while traveling and at customer’s location.
- Up to 30% travel may be required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Annual salary starts at $85k and generous benefit package