LD Product Development Engineer 2
LD Product Development Engineer 2
Grand Rapids, Michigan
International expert in conveyor belt solutions is seeking an innovative and passionate LD Product Development Engineer 2 to work out of their state-of-the-art facility in Grand Rapids, MI. This company has been named "101 Best & Brightest Companies to Work For" by the National Association for Business Resources.
Let's parade the perks of the Engineering Supervisor position:
- Top Notch benefits that include Medical, Dental and Vision insurance that start on your first day of employment
- Pension plan and 401k with 2% company match
- 4 weeks of vacation and 12 paid holidays per year
- Competitive compensation starting at $85,000 annually
- Tuition reimbursement/educational assistance
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering (ABET Accredited)
- 5+ years’ experience in design and development of new mechanical and electro-mechanical products.
- Expert knowledge and proficiency in 3D CAD (Solidworks preferred).
- Skilled in application of fundamental engineering principles involving the calculation of failure analysis using stress, strain, and fatigue.
- Experienced in designing and releasing products from the concept to launch and support lifecycle phases with clear ability to deliver new concepts.
- Extensive knowledge of the mechanical properties of a variety of materials including ferrous and non-ferrous metals, rubbers, plastics, and urethanes.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and design mechanical, electrical, electronic, and controls systems. Strong ability to solve problems and troubleshoot the most difficult challenges these types of products, then lead effort to identify and implement corrective actions.
- Exposed to elements in industrial environments
- Ability to travel to customer sites and work around conveyor systems
Highly Weighted Competencies include, but are not limited to:
- Creativity: Facilitates brainstorming and problem-solving sessions.
- Design / Technical Analysis: Proficient problem solver; Seeks advice on only the more complex problems.
- Systems Expertise: Aware of system interactions across multiple disciplines and makes everyone aware of design changes, drives understanding of system interactions.
- Customer Understanding: Through information sources and reviews, identifies customer / market / feature requirements and weighs against the company competencies.
- Decision Making Ability: Full design decision responsibility and accountability.
- Testing, Troubleshooting, Prototyping: Able to direct activities to create complex prototypes involving multiple technologies and diverse componentry.
- Standards / Procedures Applications: Proficient in the use of all applicable standards/procedures in their day-to-day activities.
- Communication: Able to define, prepare, and present technical topics internally within the company; able to prepare and present technical presentations for client reviews or trade associations.
- Engineering Tools: Mastery of tools essential for their core activities.
- To develop & design new and improved Light-Duty (LD) and Novitool (NT) products in an efficient and timely manner. Scope to include belt fasteners, application tools, light duty belt conveyor products & accessories, and belt fabrication equipment.
- Follow approved product development process to conceptualize, evaluate feasibility, design, and develop new and/or significantly improved products to meet design requirements and features list as prioritized by Marketing and the Engineering Manager.
- Develops technology and product concepts through R&D and other market research activities.
- Assign and prioritize work for technical support personnel—test technician, designers / detailers. Supervises and/or mentors engineering interns.
- Coordinate with Tool Room to provide direction for, and functional requirements of prototypes, special equipment and tooling designed for LD & NT product lines.
- Define and coordinate internal & external (field) testing to understand product requirements and validate & verify new designs.
- Participate in Continuous Improvement programs, WPO, and suggestion system.
- Work on special projects as assigned.
Key Result Areas:
- Lead the definition and development of ideas into a working concept. Prove out initial concepts through testing and evaluation to prepare product for handing off to the production launch team.
- Sharing of knowledge between coworkers, suppliers, and customers through collaboration and mentoring. Bringing coworkers on field trips to increase knowledge depth and exposure to the market where possible.
- Support and exemplify the Company Vision and Values through all categories of the statement; People First, Better Together, Customer Centered, Forward Thinking, Committed to Excellence.
- Serve as a technical resource within the company.