Manager, Technical Field Services
Manager, Technical Field Services
San Bernardino, California
IMMEDIATE OPENINING: Manager, Technical Field Services, San Bernardino, CA
The focus of the Technical Field Service Manager is to analyze, define, implement, and manage the technical service process and procedures, with the aim of increasing customer satisfaction. The Technical Field Service Manager is also responsible for the revenue generation and negotiation processes with customers for the implementation of service, including customer training and spare part sales.
The Technical Field Service Manager leads a team of technical support specialists responsible for driving customer loyalty and ensuring that our customers are satisfied and are realizing measurable value from our products and services.
The Technical Field Service Manager communicates with all the departments involved and acts as the key liaison with the Company’s Packaging Business Units to coordinate and ensure packaging materials are successfully integrated with all machinery activities to support and drive the Company System Sales.
• Bachelor’s degree in Business or Technical discipline
• 5 + years’ experience within a packaging or packaging machinery manufacturer is required.
• Proven track record of dynamic leadership with previous team management experience in a customer
facing organization is required.
• Experience with customer relationship management best practice including software, automation, metrics,
• Proven capability to collaborate with all levels of the organization.
• Demonstrated ability to be highly organized, creative, motivated, self-starter, strong problem solver with
excellent written and oral communications and presentation skills.
• Demonstrated strong negotiation skills.
• Demonstrated ability to prioritize, multi-task, and perform effectively under pressure.
• Demonstrated project management skills that assured project outcomes are achieved on time and on
• Willingness to accommodate 10 – 30% to travel
• Experience leading teams in technical support of food packaging machinery, preferred.
• Experience in field service focusing on mechanical aptitude, electronics, pneumatics, and PLC controls.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Skilled in managing, leading, coaching, training and developing a customer-facing technical team
• Ability to partner with the customer to establish deployment objectives and success criteria and help them
develop a plan to achieve those objectives
• Ability to relate to customers with varying levels of technical skills and understanding
• Ability to work in a fast-paced cross-functional organization and balance priorities
• Advanced writing skills with a technical writing background
• Highly skilled in reading blueprints, engineering drawings, and electrical schematics
• Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
• Good data analysis skills to identify trends in service and part sales activities
• Must be knowledgeable of basic OSHA workplace safety standards which include but are not limited to
PPE, ladder safety, lockout tag out, electrical tool safety, etc.
• Ability to effectively deal with internal and external customers, some of whom will require patience, tact,
and diplomacy, collect accurate information and solve customer concerns
• Knowledgeable of statistical process control (SPC)
• Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office programs includes WORD, Excel, Power Point and Project
• Basic understanding of the concepts of Lean Manufacturing and Six Sigma
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Strategic leader for a team of technical field service specialists establishing team direction, schedules, and
key objectives in support of customer installs, remote and field support and training on The Company Lane
• Develop processes, procedures and documentation for the service organization
• Drive service and parts revenue and develop metrics to measure key performance indicators internally and
externally with customers
• Develop a comprehensive understanding of the customer’s industry business challenges and objectives to
address their needs
• Serve as a customer advocate in driving industry best practices and the evolution of product and platform
functionality, training and support services integral to the customer's success
• Develop and maintain long-term relationships with stakeholders by networking between customers and
• Key liaison between WLI operations, engineering, accounting and sales team and the customer
• Communicate technical updates (i.e., service bulletins) to customers and advocate for complaint resolution
• Responsible for preparing and providing accurate service quotations, available service schedules to the
customers, and creating accurate and timely service expenses for invoicing
•Partners with Engineering in a Concurrent Engineering culture in new product development and support of
existing machines in the field,
• Responsible for coordinating with Sales and the customer to ensure that adequate products and packaging
materials are available for the Factory Acceptance Test (FAT)
• Ensures the machine is ready for customer Factory Acceptance Test (FAT), performs the FAT with the
customer and provides and follows up promptly on post FAT action items
• Responsible for managing the Pilot Plant operations and ensuring a safe, productive and lean
• Ensures all service personnel follow company GMP’s (Good Manufacturing Practices), sanitation,
prerequisite programs, chemical control, and food safety plans, WLI policies and Customer’s policies
• Analyze service and part sales trends and collaborate with other departments to implement programs to
capture and/or recapture service and part sales revenue
• Additional responsibilities as deemed necessary by supervisor
Regular travel required
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable an individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
While performing the duties of this position, employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear; and taste or smell. The employee may lift and/or move up to 50 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. The individual must have a high level of comprehension and a high level of general, verbal, and numerical intelligence.
The environment is both office and manufacturing. In the manufacturing environment, the employee will be exposed to typical hazards of noise, flying debris, and overhead hazards requiring the use of proper PPE (Personal Protective Equipment). Position requires extensive traveling and a valid driver's license.
This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment