Field Service Technician
Field Service Technician
FIELD SERVICE TECHNIIAN
The primary objective of the Field Service Technician is to provide field technical, maintenance,
and troubleshooting support to customers. Also, to successfully install and startup
Packaging Machines. To achieve a successful installation and startup, the Field Service
Technician is responsible for verifying the quality and performance of the equipment, performing
Factory and Site Acceptance Tests (FAT / SAT) and making necessary adjustments for optimum
operation while maximizing customer expectations and satisfaction. As a technical
ambassador, the incumbent must have proficient skills to effectively train and counsel; operators,
production, maintenance, and management personnel with all applicable duties related to
servicing and supporting equipment.
Education and Experience:
- Associate degree in machine controls automation or 2 years of vocational technical training.
- Bachelor’s degree in electro-mechanical, technical engineering, or automation machine maintenance preferred.
- Position requires minimum of 3-5 years’ experience in field service focusing on mechanical, electronics, electrical, pneumatics, servo, and PLC control acumen.
- Experience in the flexible packaging machinery industry highly preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required to Perform the Essential Job Functions:
- Advanced writing skills. Technical writing background a plus.
- Advanced ability to identify the root cause of a problem and make repairs through required adjustments or replacing defective parts as necessary.
- Proficient in the following software programs: Outlook, SharePoint, Avanti, Smartsheet,
- Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Ability to perform tasks relating to mechanical, electrical and minor programming as required to complete successful installation or maintenance of machinery.
- Highly skilled in reading blueprints, engineering drawings and electrical schematics in AutoCAD and Solid works.
- Skilled in servicing, repairing, adjusting, and testing machines, devices, moving parts, and machinery.
- Must be detail oriented with excellent organization, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to rely on experience and judgement to plan and accomplish goals.
- Ability to work in a team environment and follow instructions.
- Excellent customer service skills portraying, a positive “can do” attitude.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
- Must be able to travel extensively (50% - 75%) and work overtime as required.
- Willingness to work holidays and weekends as some customers are a 24/7 facility operating through most weekends and holidays.
- Must be knowledgeable of basic OSHA workplace safety standards which include but are not limited to PPE, ladder safety, lock out tag out, electrical tool safety, etc.
- Ability to effectively deal with internal and external customers, some of whom will require patience, tact and diplomacy to defuse anger, collect accurate information and solve customer concerns.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
The following tasks are responsibilities of a Field Service Technician and not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assign
Responsible for successful installation, startup and repair of Company Machinery.
- Works independently in a field driven capacity to ensure the highest level of customer satisfaction.
- Will be required to travel extensively, meeting both scheduled and unscheduled service requests.
- Maintain a highly professional image representing the Field Service Technicians and the Company’s image.
- Seeks continuous improvements and initiates corrective actions where applicable.
- Completes technical service reports for all service trips and expense reports in a timely manner.
- Verifies safe operation of Company machinery and any equipment operating in conjunction with Company machinery before startup and operation.
- Ensures all safety related components on the Company machinery is properly working and notifies management immediately if issues are found.
- Will train customers on the proper operation and maintenance of Company machinery.
- Works alongside Engineering Department and Assembly Departments assisting with QC /FAT testing of new equipment and verify proper functionality of the equipment.
- Administer and complete documentation package related to FAT program.
- Assistance in Machine and Lab cleanup is required. Post FAT
- Setup the lab equipment for testing of new products to verify the compatibility with our filling system.
- Makes decisions where only general procedures are available and exercises judgement and discretion in the absence of clear-cut procedures.
- May be required to work in the Assembly Department when field service assignment is not available.
- Will write standard operating and maintenance procedures for operation and maintenance of the Company equipment.
- Assists in training of technicians, manufacturing assembly personnel, customers and in-house personnel as required.
- Responsible for quality of the finished product or services outlined above.
- Provides emergency field service assistance as needed.
- Adheres to all company policies, safety rules and safe work practices on site, while traveling and at customer’s location.
- Responsible to furnish all basic tools to perform requirements of the position.
Language Ability and Interpersonal Communication:
Must be able to communicate professionally and effectively with employees and customers.
Bilingual and Technical writing ability a plus.
Travel / Documentation:
Current Driver’s License and reliable vehicle required
Ability to attain various work VISA
Frequent travel required (Domestic & International)
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an
employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable an individual with disabilities to perform the essential
functions of this position.
While performing the duties of this position, employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit;
use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb
stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear; and taste or smell. The employee
may lift and/or move up to 50 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision,
distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The individual must have a high level of comprehension, and a high level of general, verbal, and
The environment is both office and manufacturing. In the manufacturing environment, employee
will be exposed to typical hazards of noise, flying debris, and overhead hazards requiring the use
of proper PPE (Personal Protective Equipment). Position requires extensive traveling and a valid