Screw Machine Operator
Screw Machine Operator
PRIMARY SUMMARY: Screw Machine Operator
The Screw Machine Operator is responsible for operating various multi-spindle screw machines including New Britain, Davenport and Brown & Sharpe for the manufacture of various types of metal parts.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Operates multiple multi-spindle screw machines according to detail blueprints, specifications, work orders and work instructions. Selects and obtains proper material and tooling for the job. Checks tooling and reworks as needed to manufacture parts to print specification.
- Performs minor adjustments on machines and regulates functions such as coolant flow, and related machine operations. Able to change out collets, feeders, spindle stops, cams and gears to layout specifications.
- Notifies supervisor or lead of major malfunctions or when machine maintenance is needed.
- Utilizes full range of precision measuring and gauging tools to perform inspection before start, during and completion of production run. Inspects parts to ensure conformance, dimension and tolerance levels within specifications and blueprints using measuring tools such as calipers and micrometers.
- Performs record keeping, data entry (piece count & run time of production) and maintains housekeeping.
- Reports any safety violation, machining equipment misusage and/or improperly performed work to supervisor or lead.
- Able to recognize cosmetic non-conformances based on Company specifications such as; burrs, galling, cracked edges, slug marks, dimensional changes in production parts and initiate action to prevent non-conformance such as stopping the machine and notifying Supervisor.
- Follow all 5S department procedures which include but are not limited to; keeping floors clean of oil and debris, returning tools to proper locations, organize part pans, and performs other housekeeping duties.
- Other tasks and duties may be assigned.
WAYS OF WORKING, EXPERIENCE, AND BEHAVIORS
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Technical Skills – Understands and has basic working knowledge of manufacturing procedures and functions; possess and understand basic computer entry and processing skills.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens intently to others and seeks clarification. Provides clear and pleasant responses to inquires regardless of the situation.
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities. Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; gives and welcomes feedback; places success of team above own interests.
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; changes approach or method to best fit the situation; able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; reacts well under pressure; treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; accepts responsibility for own actions; follows through on commitments.
Supervisory Responsibilities This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Qualifications To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
ESSENTIAL JOB REQUIREMENTS SKILLS AND ABILITIESEducation and/or Experience
- A minimum of 1-year experience working on Multi-Spindle Screw machinery and manufacturing procedures; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Proficient in blueprints interpretation.
- Ability to make all inspections on machined parts using precision measuring equipment.
- Must be able to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to employees of the organization.
- Mathematical Skills Ability to add, subtracts, multiply, and divides in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Knowledge of basic shop math.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS, WORK ENVIRONMENT, HEALTH AND SAFETYWhile performing the duties of this Job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally sit; balance and stoop, crouch, crawl or kneel. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and depth perception.